Computer Lab: Getting Started Activitity for 15 Sept. 2011
- The computer in front of you may not function properly in all the ways we expect. Be prepared for this. If this occurs, find an unoccupied computer station or share the computer with your neighbor.
- Any task not completed today should be completed, in a timely fashion, at home or using another computer in the school (this lab, another computer lab, library, Social Studies Department office, Mr.V’s work room, etc.).
- You will need a flash drive during your academic career at Stuyvesant. If you don’t have one, please inform Mr.V and he will order a 4 GB drive for you at a cost of $5. Purchase of the device also helps support the integration of technology into Mr.V’s World History and Geography course for 9th graders at Stuyvesant HS.
- Open the web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.) and navigate to the course blog: http://worldhistreview.blogspot.com/.
- After completing step 1, open another browser tab/ window and navigate to the Home page of the course website (www.worldhistoryreview.org). There, you’ll see a series of links at the bottom of the page. Click on “Resources” so that web page opens in another browser tab or window. You will now have three open tabs/ windows. This will permit you to toggle between them for certain tasks. This web page reveals an application known as Symbaloo. It contains links to the most important Internet sites we’ll use.
- Using Symbaloo, click on the Engrade tile (link) and once there use the data Mr.V gave you to register for our course’s Engrade account. If you already have an Engrade account from Junior High School, login using that account’s credentials as you normally would. Then, use the code Mr.V gave you to gain access to our course account. After registering with Engrade, take a moment to look at the Course Calendar, which can be accessed via a side bar tab.
- After completing step 3, go back to Symbaloo and click on the Dropbox tile. Sign up for a free account. If you prefer to use SugarSync, you can click on that tile instead of Dropbox. Either service is fine, free, and reputable. You shouldn’t sign up for both unless you need all that online storage.
- After completing step 4, return to Symbaloo and click on the Mindmeister tile. Sign up for a free (BASIC) account. If your browser isn’t showing a link to signup for a BASIC account, use your neighbor’s computer. If that does not work, wait ’till you get home and do it using your computer.
- If no one needs to use your computer, and you have finished steps 1 – 6, close all browser windows and logoff. You should then see the same window on your monitor screen that was displayed when you sat in front of the computer for the first time.