Fall HGS Research Project: Introduction and Phase II (P02_Mindmap of Marvels of Classical Civilizations)
I. The purpose of this research project is to…
A. Practice academic research skills.
B. Continue familiarization with research data manipulation.
C. Sharpen skills with computer applications in the gathering, analysis, and presentation of findings (data).
D. Familiarize with and exploit the organizational features of mind mapping using Mindmeister.
The term’s research requirement is to be tackled in school (in-class on Fridays that are not prescheduled for exams) and out of school (home, museum, library, etc.). The project will be divided into phases that have deadlines. Each phase will focus on a component (a distinct product) of our term topics. As each phase is completed, you’ll receive a grade, from Mr.V, for that product.
II. Construction of a Mindmap of Marvels of Classical Civilizations
Students will construct a mind map using their Mindmeister accounts. The mind map will serve dual roles as a:
A. Research primer.
B. Study tool for exams later in the term.
1. This is a group activity.
2. Each group member must be assigned a task to complete and be accountable for.
3. The mind map being constructed must fully exploit all the application features available and accessible to the student on mindmeister.
4. The mind map must reflect the concepts, imagery, overlapping relationships, and factual content that support and enrich the knowledge of the central idea.
5. It’s expected that the mind map will contain: text, images, relevant iconography, and Internet links. All sources must be cited using the MLA citation resources below.
a. A student within each group will be the ‘Owner’ of the map. That student will share the mind map with Mr.V using Mr.V’s DOE email address. Ask Mr.V for it if you don’t know what it is. The map ‘Owner’ will also share the map with each member in the group using the distinct email addresses of each member.
b. Every group member, and Mr.V, must have “Can Edit” access to the mind map.
c. The mind map must be labeled in the following fashion: Pd#_Classical Marvels of…: … -Grp# (Ex.: 08_Classical Marvels of Han China: Paper-02).
d. Remember, the label of the mind map has to be inserted in two places within Mindmeister’s interface. One place is the central node. The other place is in the mind map’s profile.
e. Be sure to refer to your accomplishments in project P01 to revisit some of the challenges and successes you and your group members encountered.
III. Content & Analysis Components of the Mindmap
B. Construction/ Manufacture Details
1. Materials used.
C. Evaluation of the ‘Marvel’
1. Purpose of the ‘Marvel’
2. Pro/ Con about the construction, implementation, and use of the ‘Marvel’.
3. Modern Legacy
1. Anc. Greece: Parthenon
2. Anc. Greece: Antikythera Mechanism
3. Anc. Rome: Pantheon
4. Anc. Rome: Cement/ Concrete
5. Han Dynasty: Civil Service System
6. Han Dynasty: Paper
IV. Sharing Discoveries with Classmates
A. Highlight your ‘Marvel’s’ wonders and flaws.
– Share something special about that Marvel.
– Share something that many may not know about that Marvel.
– Share a flaw or other negative aspect of that Marvel (Cost burden, design, impact on society, etc.).
B. Brief Oral Presentation
– One person per group offers the presentation in front of class
– 3 – 5 minutes in length.
– The speaker may have note cards to refer to, but not read from.