P02_Mindmap of Marvels of Classical Civilizations
I. The purpose of this research project is to…
A. Practice academic research skills.
B. Continue familiarization with research data manipulation.
C. Sharpen skills with computer applications in the gathering, analysis, and presentation of findings (data).
D. Familiarize with and exploit the organizational features of mind mapping using Mindmeister.
The term’s research requirement is to be tackled in school (in-class) and out of school (home, museum, library, etc.).
II. Constructing a Mindmap of Classical Marvels
Students will construct a mind map using their Mindmeister accounts. The mind map will serve dual roles as a:
A. Research primer.
B. Study tool for exams later in the term.
1. This is a group activity.
2. Each group member must be assigned a task to complete and be accountable for.
3. The mind map being constructed must fully exploit all the application features available and accessible to the student on mindmeister.
4. The mind map must reflect the concepts, imagery, overlapping relationships, and factual content that support and enrich the knowledge of the central idea.
5. It’s expected that the mind map will contain: text, images, relevant iconography, and Internet links. All sources must be cited using the MLA citation resources below.
a. A student within each group will be the ‘Owner’ of the map. That student will share the mind map with Mr.V using Mr.V’s DOE email address. Ask Mr.V for it if you don’t know what it is. The map ‘Owner’ will also share the map with each member in the group using the distinct email addresses of each member.
b. Every group member, and Mr.V, must have “Can Edit” access to the mind map.
c. The mind map must be labeled in the following fashion: Pd#_Classical Marvels of…: … -Grp# (Ex.: 08_Classical Marvels of Han China-02 which means Pd08 Topic of Han China and Group 02).
d. Remember, the label of the mind map has to be inserted in the Central Node.
e. Be sure to refer to your previous use of Mindmeister and revisit some of the challenges and successes you and your group members encountered using its features.
III. Content & Analysis Components of the Mindmap (The Branches of the Mindmap)
A. Context: Time, Place, Circumstance.
B. Construction/ Manufacture Details
1. Materials used.
2. Labor needs.
3. Unique or unusual construction events.
C. Evaluation of the ‘Marvel’
1. Purpose of the ‘Marvel’
2. Pro/ Con about the construction, implementation, and use of the ‘Marvel’.
3. Modern Legacy. What role does the ‘Marvel’ play in our modern world?
D. Marvels Mr.V will Assign.
1. Anc. Greece: Parthenon
2. Anc. Greece: Antikythera Mechanism
3. Anc. Rome: Pantheon
4. Anc. Rome: Cement/ Concrete
5. Han Dynasty: Civil Service System
6. Han Dynasty: Paper
IV. Sharing Discoveries with Classmates (Oral Presentation)
A. Highlight your ‘Marvel’s’ wonders and flaws.
– Context: Time, Place, Circumstance.
– Describe/ Explain a benefit derived from that Marvel.
– Describe something that many may not know about that Marvel.
– Describe/ Explain a flaw or other negative aspect of that Marvel (Cost burden, design, impact on society, etc.).
B. Administrative Requirements
– One person per group offers the presentation in front of class
– 5 – 7 minutes in length.
– The speaker may have note cards to refer to, but not read from. The speaker must have 3 images that will supplement the verbal presentation. The images should help the audience appreciate the significance of the Marvel.
– Modern Language Association (MLA) citation resources
– Purdue’s Online Writing Lab ([https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/](#))
– EasyBib Citation Generator ([http://www.easybib.com](#))